March 2, 2009

PRAYING IN THE FIELDS

From “The Flame of the Heart: Prayers of a Chasidic Mystic” (Breslov Research Institute), translated by Dovid Sears from the writings of Reb Noson of Breslov.

Praying in the Fields

"Come, Beloved, let us go out to the field; let us lodge in the villages. Let us arise early to go to the vineyards; let us see if the vine has blossomed, if the tender grapes have opened, if the pomegranates have sprouted. There I will give my love to You."

Master of the universe, let me seclude myself in meditation and prayer every day, going out to the fields to meditate among the trees and grass, pouring out my heart in prayer. For all the leaves and grasses, all the trees and plants, will stir themselves to greet me; they will rise to imbue my words and prayers with their energy and life force. All the trees and plants of the field will merge with my words and prayers; they will combine all their spiritual power and bring my words up to their supernal Source. Thus my prayers and supplications will attain perfection.

O Merciful One, may I merit to pray before You, until my heart opens at last. May my words flow until I pour out my heart like water before God. (LT II:224)